Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Feeling Connected


I'm residing in Tea bagging country where fundamentalist Christianity and Republican politics run supreme. Any deviation from this could lead to a heated debate and possibly loosing one's job. It's been bad here for awhile but I've noticed that the small minority of open minded folks are nowhere to be seen. Going to a coffee shop or a bookstore was where more accepting people used to congregate. That hasn't been the case in three years or longer. It's sad. To say I no longer feel connected is an understatement. That's not to say there isn't good people here but the prevailing tunnel vision that's the norm in these here parts has become more than I'm willing to tolerate.


 People have a right to their religious views (and lack-there-of). I occasionally share mine but it's not the focus of my blog nor the focal point guiding my life. To me religion (or whatever you choose to call it - faith, a relationship with a particular deity,and etc.) is a private matter and not something to be shared with just anyone. This stance serves me well in areas that are dominated by fundamentalist Christians and Muslims. After all - I'm still in the Bible Belt. I might loosen up a bit once I'm traveling and have made my primary residence out west some place where people tend to be less pushy with politics and religion.



“There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.” -  Linus van Pelt (Peanuts featuring Charlie Brown) 

   All in all - life in general has become increasingly challenging in more ways than one and I'm attempting to deal with it. Where my life is going is yet to be seen. I'm trying to stay in the moment as much as possible. That's easier said than done. I'm just taking one day at a time. As some of my friendly acquaintances know - I've been staying with my uncle and helping him out. In return I paid little rent and was able to live on the minimal income I received from my mcjob. Now that I'll be paying full rent I'll be lucky to have enough left over for groceries and upkeep on my vehicle much less enjoying the luxury of having anything left over to put in savings.

 
 It's sad that so many people in this country are oblivious to the fact that the typical job no longer pays sustainable wages and hasn't in quite some time. I know so many men (and some women) who live with family because if they didn't they'd wind up as street urchins. These people are in their 20s,30s,40s,and even 50s. But I've said enough about that. I've already made postings on the devaluing of our currency and don't feel the need to elaborate on this any further.

 With that said - I bid each and every one of you a great day, a wonderful week,and a marvelous month.







No comments:

Post a Comment